Oven Baked Pork Belly Strips
Crispy, fatty, very flavorful pork belly strips are perfect as a first course, or try them for breakfast instead of bacon.Pork belly strips are a delicacy. They are like very thick-cut bacon, and come from the same cut of pork (belly, obviously), but pork belly strips are fresh meat – uncured, not smoked, dried or salted.Obviously an extremely fatty cut, pork belly slices are suitable (and usually served at restaurants) as a first course, or as our main course for dinner, alongside a small green salad.If serving as first course, one thick strip per person, cut into bite-size pieces, is perfect. Three strips are plenty for a main course.Pork belly strips are delicious on their own, simply seasoned with salt and pepper. Smoked paprika adds a delightful smoky flavor.You can also brush them with a mixture of soy sauce (2 tablespoons), honey (1 tablespoon) and garlic powder (1 teaspoon) prior to baking, for an Asian style dish. Want to know a secret? These baked pork belly strips are fabulous seasoned with just salt and pepper!
- 12 Thick pork belly strips 1/2 inch thick, 114g each raw weight
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Score the skin on the pork belly before baking if you want crispy crackling.
- Preheat oven to 205°C (400°F). Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the pork belly strips in the pan. Sprinkle them with the seasonings.
- Roast until browned and crispy, 30 minutes on the first side, and 20 – 30 more minutes on the second side. Drain the pan midway through baking, saving the rendered fat in a jar if you wish.
Recipe source: https://healthyrecipesblogs.com/2016/08/15/oven-baked-pork-belly-strips/